Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Morning After Election Day 2008

Last night, I stayed up to watch the speeches by both candidates for President. I was struck by the common tone in each man’s remarks. Both were magnanimous and selfless in their demeanor. Both gave me hope that statesmanship might still be alive.

This morning at breakfast, my children asked about the outcome; “Was it Senator McCain or Senator Obama?” (We had already corrected them throughout the campaign that both men had titles of respect and should not be referred to simply by last name despite what they heard in the media.) When they learned that the candidate we supported had not prevailed, I squelched any grumbling. I still had the words of both men in mind and reflected on their mutual rebuke of partisan rancor as I told my children that the election was over, that the nation had selected a new leader, that the man we had supported had asked us to support the President-Elect, and that the President-Elect had asked for our help.

My children don’t remember any election where there wasn’t continued animosity over the result. I’m not sure I do either. We teach our children to shake hands after a hard-fought game on the athletic fields and yet too often they watch adults behave badly in politics.

Both men made the case that we all have a responsibility in the effort to prosper our nation. No one knows how long the honeymoon will last, but at least for a brief moment we have the opportunity to encourage the next generation to do away with the idea that the losing side should bitterly throw mud at the winners while the winners gloat. Perhaps it serves as a reminder to us all that leadership means coming together for common purposes, even if our candidate doesn’t win.

No comments: